Conducting performance appraisals is one of a manager’s least favorite activities. They are lengthy, time-consuming, and can be very frustrating at times. The benefits, however, are enormous. If done properly, performance appraisals can help the company and the employee increase satisfaction, productivity, and professional growth.This course provides step-by-step instructions on how to help your employees define their goals, develop effective work plans, and improve their overall performance standards.
Managers, Supervisors & HR Professionals
TIME TO COMPLETE
To help managers and supervisors understand the performance appraisal process so they can better assist employees in defining goals, establishing work plans, and improving overall work performance.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- distinguish performance goals from standards;
- describe the three stages of the performance management appraisal process;
- identify the three rating methods of a performance appraisal system (category, comparative, and special methods) and give examples for each;
- recount the steps taken when reviewing the performance appraisal with the employee;
- list the most prevalent errors that can occur when conducting a performance appraisal; and
- identify obstacles that can arise when completing a performance appraisal.
1. What is the Performance Management Process?
2. What is a Performance Appraisal?
- Rating Methods
- Review Process
- Common Errors and Pitfalls
- Performance Appraisal Form
- Performance Management Policy and Procedures
- Sample Work Plan
HR CERTIFICATION INSTITUTE
This program has been approved for 1.5 recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute. (The use of this official seal confirms that this Activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.)
SOCIETY FOR HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
The Human Equation is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for 1.5 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit SHRM.