** Includes New Summary of Rights Notice Requirements and Revised Model Form (Effective September 2018)
This course helps the learner understand the importance of background screening, explains how to conduct effective background screening using in-house personnel or a Consumer Reporting Agency, and describes the practices necessary to comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and other relevant laws.
Business Owners, Managers, Supervisors, Risk Management & HR Professionals
TIME TO COMPLETE
The purpose of this course is to help the learner understand why, when, and how to conduct reference and background checks on prospective or current employees, effectively and legally.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- differentiate between reference checks and background investigations;
- apply the regulations of various employment laws, particularly the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), to situations in which reference checks and background investigations are conducted;
- identify the elements of an effective organizational policy on conducting reference checks and background investigations;
- identify the steps in conducting legally compliant reference checks and background investigations;
- recognize the situations in which other screening methods can be used in the employment context and when FCRA rules do not apply;
- identify the steps required when taking adverse action against employees; and
- describe the penalties for non-compliance with FCRA regulations.
- Background Checks vs. Reference Checks
- The many laws that affect background screening
- Conducting reference and background checks
- Other screening methods
- Taking adverse action
- Employer Liability
- Letter of Recommendation
- Questions for Reference Checking
- Records Retention Chart
- Background Investigation Authorization and Release Form
- Applicant Reference Check Form
- Pre-Adverse Action Letter
- Reference Verification Form
- Authorization to Obtain Consumer Report
- A Summary of Your Rights
- Rejection Letter Based on Consumer Report
HR CERTIFICATION INSTITUTE
This program has been approved for 2.0 recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute. (The use of this seal is not an endorsement by the HR Certification Institute of the quality of this program. It means that this program has met the HR Certification Institute's criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.)
SOCIETY FOR HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
The Human Equation is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for 2.0 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit SHRM.