The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) was signed into law in 1986, making extended health insurance coverage available, for a limited period of time, to qualified beneficiaries who experience certain life events. Under the Act, employees and their families can purchase health care coverage at the employer’s group rate when an employee experiences an event that results in the loss of employer-provided coverage.
This online course discusses who qualifies for COBRA, how COBRA works, and what happens to employers who do not comply with COBRA standards.
Managers, Supervisors & HR Professionals
TIME TO COMPLETE
To help managers and supervisors understand the basic regulations and terms of COBRA coverage.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- explain the proper course of action for notifying employees and their spouses about continuation rights when they enroll in a group health plan;
- characterize the circumstances that qualify individuals as beneficiaries, the events that qualify beneficiaries for continued coverage, and the maximum coverage available to these beneficiaries;
- summarize the terms of coverage, including the election of coverage, premium payments, the termination of coverage, and conversion rights;
- describe the potential penalties imposed if an employer does not comply with COBRA;
- depict the relationship between COBRA and various federal and state laws; and
- determine how the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) amended COBRA requirements, particularly as they affect assistance eligible individuals.
- What is COBRA?
- What are the Laws and Regulations?
- Who is Eligible?
- What is a Qualifying Event?
- What are the Notification Procedures?
- What are the Penalties for Non-Compliance?
- How has the ARRA Amended COBRA Requirements?
- Notice Upon Enrollment in a Group Health Plan
- COBRA Notice and Election Form Following a Qualifying Event
- Certificate of Group Health Plan Coverage
- Model COBRA Continuation Coverage Additional Election Notice
- Model COBRA Continuation Coverage Election Notice Under the ARRA
HR CERTIFICATION INSTITUTE
This program has been approved for 2.0 recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR, and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute. (The use of this official seal confirms that this Activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.)
SOCIETY FOR HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
The Human Equation is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for 2.0 PDCs for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit SHRM.