Trick-Or-Treating During COVID-19? CDC Releases Halloween Safety Tips
Last we checked, Halloween was still on the calendar. Good thing too, because after a year full of tricks, we deserve a few treats. Yet, there are legitimate concerns about celebrating Halloween during the pandemic. The decision to go trick-or-treating is ultimately a personal one, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be all-or-nothing. Activities can be made safer by taking appropriate preventative measures to reduce the risk of spreading or getting COVID-19. For those of you thinking about trick-or-treating this year, the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) offers the following safety tips.
- Avoid direct contact with trick-or-treaters.
- Give out treats outdoors, if possible.
- Set up a station with individually bagged treats for kids to take.
- Wash hands before handling treats.
Wear a Mask
- Make your cloth mask part of your costume.
- A costume mask is NOT a substitute for a cloth mask.
- Do NOT wear a costume mask over a cloth mask. It can make breathing more difficult.
- Masks should NOT be worn by children under the age of 2 or anyone who has trouble breathing.
Wash Your Hands
- Bring hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol) with you. Use it after touching objects or other people.
- Supervise young children using hand sanitizer.
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds when you get home and before you eat any treats.
Keep Your Distance
- Stay at least 6 feet away from others who do not live with you.
- Indoors and outdoors, you are more likely to get or spread COVID-19 when you are in close contact with others for a long time.
The CDC acknowledges that some traditional Halloween activities can increase the risk of getting or spreading COVID-19, so people may want to consider other ways to celebrate this year. Those with an increased risk of severe illness due to age or underlying medical conditions should take extra precautions.
Regardless of how you to celebrate, stay safe, look after each other and have fun. Happy Halloween!
The Human Equation prepares all risk management and insurance content with the professional guidance of Setnor Byer Insurance & Risk.